Why is it when you recruit a new employee and initially all is going very well. Then after a few weeks out of the blue as if a tidal wave hit
you discover they do not fit the practice culture
they are causing disruption to current staff AND
all sorts of problems and issues are occurring
Put your hands up….I’m sure there are quite a few that can say ‘oh yes that happened to us’.
Why does this happen?
It all comes back to the recruitment phase and during the interview process.
As a practice, you will have developed a culture and your own brand and values.
When recruiting staff, it is important to determine whether this individual employee will fit in with your culture and their work values compliment your existing culture values and team.
Employee Work Values can be assessed in a variety of ways; through behavioural interview questions, motivational and value assessments and reference checking.
PLUS a huge tip – during the recruitment process, I speak with candidates a lot on the phone and in email – how adaptable and responsive they are, what they say and act also is a big indicator of their work values.
In this blog, I wanted to provide you with my 5 MUST ASK questions in assessing employee work values.
Include these questions in your interviews to ensure you will recruit an employee that has the employee work values that compliments your practice.
- Describe a situation where you worked with someone you did not like or respect. How did you cope with the relationship?
- Give me an example of a time when you over-committed yourself. How did you handle it?
- Tell me about a time you were new to a company or work group. What steps did you take to build trust with coworkers and/or staff?
- Describe what the terms “integrity” and “ethics” mean to you. Tell me about a time when your integrity or ethics were challenged. What did you do?
- Tell me about a time when your values were in conflict with the organization’s values. What did you do?
Want some assistance with recruiting staff for your practice? Organise a free consultation with us to discuss your staffing needs.